The Vail Jazz Foundation perpetuates jazz music — the American-original art form — through entertainment and education. We create memorable experiences for the young and young-at-heart at nearly 100 concerts each year, as well as education programs serving the students of Eagle County and the top high school jazz musicians in the country. Working for Vail Jazz is a unique opportunity to be a part of a true team, to serve up joy to neighbors near and far, and to grow a career through real responsibility, measurable impact, and broad exposure to the operation of a nonprofit organization.
The Vail Jazz Foundation, Inc.
Job Requisition: Director of Development
The team is united by these common core values:
– Energized by collaboration
– Organizational empathy
– Constant learning
– No job too small
– Personal connection to the mission
The Director of Development is a leadership position focused on exceeding annual revenue goals through donor cultivation, grant writing, sponsorship sales and development events. The scope of the role includes strategic and tactical planning, fundraising activities, reporting, and community engagement/management. This role reports to the Executive Director, and is supported by the Development & Events Coordinator, and works closely with the Marketing and Operations support.
– 4+ years in Vail Valley non-profit organizations (development roles with direct fundraising goals preferred)
– Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed, particularly during the Festival (4th of July- Labor Day)
– Comfort with various technologies including GoogleApps, Salesforce.com (PatronManager), and Microsoft Office and familiarity with common development vendors including mailing houses, caterers and hotels
– Proven verbal and written communications skills
– Demonstrated ability to cultivate and expand donor relationships
– Well-developed organizational skills, integrity and focus on user experience
– Comfort with ambiguity; ability to determine and implement a plan of action
– Persistence through wins and losses
– Create strategy for, plan and execute annual fundraising campaigns through major gifts, individual giving, business partnerships (gifts and in-kind contributions), foundation philanthropy, grant writing, sponsorships, events (including the annual gala), silent and live auctions, and fundraising experiences
(including a donor trip to NYC)
– Oversee and implement development cycle activities including direct mailings, email communications, tax acknowledgement letters, etc.
– Collaborate with Marketing on communications and solicitation materials, copywriting, donor recognition, media relations and donor benefit fulfillment
– Collaborate with Operations on corporate partnerships, event production, technology management
(including database) and donor benefit fulfillment
– Engage the Board of Directors through committees (development, gala and nominating committees), presenting and reporting and recruiting new members
– Participate in annual planning including budgeting and donor experiences
Administrative & Operations Coordinator
- Proficiency with Google Apps, Microsoft Suite, and Adobe Suite. Working knowledge of Quickbooks accounting software is required
- Understanding prioritization of project load on different roles, such as accounting, educational program support, administrative support and festival programming support.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, fun environment contributing to team success through collaboration.
- Detail-oriented entrepreneur with the ability to see all projects through to completion with competing deadlines and demands
- Office management/operations/admin support (all phases, including HR & IT)
- Finance/Accounting admin
- Ticket/Box Office Management
- Management of Artists/Artists’ Management Relations
- Overseeing and managing Artists’ lodging fulfillment
- Venue Relations/Liaison with venues re event requirements
- Vail Jazz Goes to School coordinator/Liaison with schools and instructors
- Admin of Vail Jazz Workshop
- Volunteer program management
- Intern Manager – TBD
- Ability to self-manage and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to maintain composure and practice patience in a busy environment
- Ability to meet deadlines and communicate effectively
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: None
Primary Objective: Organize and administer all administrative initiatives for the Vail Jazz Foundation.
Key Characteristics: Self-accountable, responsible, creative, detail-oriented, resourceful and comfortable in high-energy, changing environments.
Weekly Schedule outside of Festival Season:
- Monday – Friday 9a-5p
During Festival Season:
- July- Early September will require attendance some nights and weekends
- Must be present for 20+ Festival performances and the Vail Jazz Party (7 day period surrounding Labor Day)
- Note: this job may require lifting up to 50lbs, exposure to weather such as sunshine and rain, long stretches standing and walking, the ability to react to auditory and visual stimuli and long shifts with unscheduled breaks and meals.
Please send your resume and cover letter to HR@vailjazz.org